I have been listening to the radio yesterday while having my afternoon coffee and listening to Viva Fame FM which is ran by Laura Sidaoui from 6:00pm-7:00pm, who talks about different topics each day. Well, yesterday’s topic was about the increasing divorce rate in Lebanon and people were discussing, sending voice notes, WhatsApp messages and calling to share their opinions. Some individuals mentioned that social media is responsible about it, others mentioned that it is about culture, ethics, how a person was raised and others shared their personal experiences. I shall start by a study that was made about this.
According to a research which was done by An-nahar newspaper in 19-05-2013 with the support of Center of Development Studies and Projects. The research explores the demographic situation in Lebanon in relation to families, immigration, employment, health and social participation with youth and women aged between 15 to 29 years old. The results were that; the fertility rate in Lebanon is dropping low; in other words, families are not able to bear more than two children which results in a negative natural population growth in the future.
The research also pointed out that divorce rates has doubled since 1970 and divorce has a greater impact on women than on men. Therefore, the number of women divorcees is four times than that of men, since men tend to divorce in Lebanon. On the other hand, the divorce rate of couples over 45 years of age can reach 25% among women and 15% among men. In addition, today’s girls’ education tends to be higher than her partner. With regards to employment, the study indicated that population increased by 41% of the labor force, with participation of young women in economic activity.
This is according to the newspaper research and studies but what I personally concluded is the following:
1. “To love, obey and honor him” still exist until this day.
2. Some religions or laws still have “no fault” divorce which allows couples to divorce for no good reason or without reason at all.
3. Couples do not know how to fight fairly or to find fair solutions.
4. Couples end up divorcing because they waited too long to solve their problems during their marriage.
5. Our expectations of what marriage are not supposed to be childish.
6. We live in difficult society; where marriages are thrown away in the fashion toss and the old pair of shoes. 7. Lastly, we lack patience.
“The key to staying married is deciding not to get divorced. It is that simple.”